Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Birds on a Wire and more socks

Its been several weeks without updates and after todays post to bring some projects up to date I will take another break whilst we travel overseas.

I'd like to post more than just progress on socks and hope a long holiday will inspire a wider range of projects when I return. Everything has been so busy that a sock knit in the bag is all I've been able to keep up with.

Having said that, I do have a project thats not a sock!
This is Birds on a Wire cowl by Celeste Young. I have since finished it but not photographed it.
Here is the published picture


I used Morris & Sons estate. an 8ply 100% wool in two colours. A charcoal and a silver grey.


I was absolutely delighted with it as I knit. As you can see front he original photograph it needs a crispness to show off the bird motifs. Unfortunately after a little water (to block it. I did not stretch it. I was very gentle) it has completely changed character and has now gone limp and floppy.

This is why I don't have a finished photograph. I'm still upset and contemplating an intervention with starch or even (deep breath)_ a quick visit to the drier.


Sock project round up.


SofTrope sock yarn in the colour Weld. 75%merino, 25% nylon. Its made for a good friend who is about to deliver a baby. There will be a baby knit gift for her.. but these just for the cold floors of her house when she's getting up in the middle of the night.
I love the yarn, very easy to knit with. SofTropes' colours are all beautifully subtle. i have another skein to try next. a 100% BFL in a soft aqua called Enlightenment.



Schoppel's Das Paar is up next, also a merino nylon mix. These socks are the colour pattern 'Warmfront'. They are for my son. I've made only one sock as my holiday plan is to make lots of 'first socks' and then make the matching sock whilst I'm travelling. That way I'll have a readymade guide to size and my rate of completion will seem much faster.



Sundara Yarn's sock in colour Daffodil. I recently bought several skeins of this sock yarn in different colours on ravelry destash. Sundara is my favourite yarn brand beyond all other yarns.

I've almost finished this first sock. My daughter selected the colour and its for her.



Next is Jill Draper Makes Stuff's Esopus Sock in the colour Monarchs and Milkweed.
In real life its not as yellow and pink.. rather more ochre and reddish plum. The stitch definition on this yarn is amazing. It is a very curly yarn though, similar to how I find Wollmeise to knit with. I like the result but I'm undecided if I like knitting with it. I like a bit more halo and less twist in the strand.



Finally since I'm doing a wrap up of sock progress I have these finished socks. The yarn is Augustbird's  sock in the colour "Songbird". The skein is one of the prettiest Ive seen. I bought two on the strength of it.

I have only a phone picture as I had forgotten I'd knitted these in my blog round up. But as you can see the colours distributed beautifully.



I will be back online at the beginning of May.

No comments:

Post a Comment