Only showing one craft attempt this week. There is some gift-knitting but I can't show the items until they are received by the recipients.
I was inspired to try something new. I mostly avoid buying liquid hand soap. All that packaging waste! And I like the idea of a handcrafted soap bar.
I read up on the method (it really doesn't sound that hard. A few safety precautions for handling the lye (sodium hydroxide) but really nothing more than I would have done if I was paintstripping a piece of furniture (protect the eyes, wear old covering clothing, rubber gloves etc. )
So I assembled the ingredients:
The oils I used were a combination of coconut and castor oil. I added goats milk (powdered in the kit which was easier to handle).
The process was very straightforward. The only expensive part was getting a stick blender as it can't be used for food afterwards. I compromised and upgraded the kitchen one to relieve the duty on the one I had.
I poured it into my mould. It has set, it is supposedly curing for some weeks. It is not the prettiest bar of soap by a long shot.
I am hoping my next attempt will be a bit better. I'm going to try a simple olive oil soap and pay more attention to the combining.