I knit and I dyed fabric this holiday.
Firstly the fabric (because the knit is socks and there have been an awful lot of sock pictures on this blog).
i had a load of white 100% cotton pillowcases which were past their best so I used them to experiment a little.
Inspired by a post on Design sponge about Shibori dyeing I got to work using a commercial dye.
I tried three types of wrapping. I tied these really tightly (and had the blisters to prove it afterwards)
The most dramatic effect was with the twine only.
Then the crosswise paddle pop sticks
And the single paddle pop sticks.
I was so inspired by this experiment I went on to dye a set of table napkins. These are plain cotton (bought cheaply). I used the same brand of dye in chocolate brown and the crosswise paddle pop stick wrap.
My son is about to get his own mobile phone. A hand-me-down from his father. I cross-stitched a plastic cover for it.
And the socks….
A pair in a gradient yarn from Augustbird for a friend.
A pair in a fake Fair Isle for my daughter. She loves the colour and pattern but thinks they're a bit too long in the leg so they don't fold neatly over her boot.
And a pair in Twisted Limone colour Gothic Rainbow for my son.