Monday, June 30, 2014

Week 127 : Fundraising Idea - Gift Jars

Each year my kids school has a big fete for fundraising. I've been involved in a stall selling gift baskets and even though its still several months off, I've started collecting some handcrafted items suitable for the stall.

I'm making more of the pincushion jar sewing kits I first started making in week 110.


Last school holidays I made over a hundred jar lids as a specific school fundraiser. Those were in the school uniform fabric and included sewing items appropriate for repairing a uniform, the current plan is to make a selection of non-school themed kids.

Of the two jars above, the blue one is committed to a gift for a friend but the black and white one will be filled for sale.

The black and white fabric is from a short length of Auntie Cookie fabric called Letterhead and the blue is a Liberty Tana Lawn bought a one time ago from Tessuti.


My next fundraising project is to sell play dough at the fete.

I saw some ideas on Pinterest for using jars and was inspired to raid my daughters long-forgotten box of plastic animals. The jars will contain the brightly coloured dough, (made with flour, water, salt, vegetable oil and cream of tartar. Plus food colouring.). For today and to show other volunteers what we're planning to make, I just scrunched up a square of felt inside the jar.


The animals are superglued to the lid and then oversprayed with gloss enamel.


I used the same lid and plastic figure technique to make a 'manicure' kit from a jar.



Then since I had superglue enthusiasm, I experimented with buttons on a jar lid. Not sure what this will contain. Maybe hair accessories.


… and tried my hand at fabric covering with this silk and braid version.



On my knitting,. I finished Stasis. Its bigger than I was expecting but otherwise a perfect casual throw-on sweater for cold weekends out of the city.



I'm not keen on the yoke decreases. The dramatic stitch reductions are a bit more obvious in this yarn than I would have liked.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so creative! Those gift jars must've been quite the popular products in the fundraising event. Whoever thought of that project should be in charge of directing the market products every year. I bet it had a successful turnout. Thanks for sharing that! All the best! :)

    Norman Watkins @ eBay Giving Works

    ReplyDelete