Thursday, May 23, 2013

Week Seventy - Update

A good friend had a birthday, I made her this book 'envelope' to accompany the gift of a lovely coffee-table sized fashion book.



The fabric is a screen printed cotton linen blend by Auntie Cookie on Etsy. Cable Knit in grey on white. The design represents knitted cables, which I thought was a nice reference to our shared interests in knitting and sewing.



As it was the fabric was very soft, so I fused a supporting Vilene batting layer to it to give it a firmer plushness. I lined the back in plain white linen.

The owl button was bought from "Buttons Buttons Buttons" in The Rocks, in Sydney. Its an enamelled, metal owl. I bought it shopping with my birthday friend several years ago.

Here is a better picture.



I used one of the very basic machine embroidery stitches to finish the front inside edge.



I have an Elna sewing machine. It is basic but for the most part has been very reliable. I don't even use many of its features, the last time I used this stitch might have been when I bought the machine, twenty five years ago! I was so excited by the novelty of "embroidery" then. Now machines are much more advanced.

The book fitted very well and the fabric envelope is deep enough to be very roomy.




2 comments:

  1. Very thoughtful gift and a wonderful idea to use a sewn envelope instead of just wrapping paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic and beautiful way to wrap your gift.

    ReplyDelete