Monday, January 14, 2013

Week Fifty Two

Crafting this week was distracted.

But I made great progress on the Love Tattoo cross stitch. I have now finished the design element and its just a lot of background to complete.

I will have to pace myself



My plan is to have this complete for the end of school holidays, when I will have it professionally made up into a cushion.



Next I cut fabric for a summer dress.
I'm adapting my standard cowl necked dress pattern for this with the length and body from my most recent dresses. So it will be sleeveless. Longer and to be belted with a narrow belt.

I'm using this floral crepe de chine I bought several months ago from Tessuti.


Then I cut this heavier stretch fabric. I'm trying out a new pattern altogether. It will be sleeveless but more fitted with a centreback zip. There are raglan yoke/shoulder pieces (not shown, as I pinned this over another dress, so it looks a bit odd). I expect the hem will fall just below the green and black level.

The fabric is very cute, if you look closely you can see squirrels in party dresses.


The kids have done loads of paintings. A new technique they learned from this book.

Having painted and texta-edged the dolphin (and let it dry). My daughter used a very wet paint and then sprinkled salt. The salt soaks up some of the colour making a wishy-washy mottled effect.
Very effective.


The turtle is a beautiful painting.


This has been a really useful book. The Turtle is a close reference to a book example but the step by step instructions gave my seven year old daughter a lot of confidence. It might encourage her to be more adventurous in further works.


We have found a cheap source of canvasses, so we have accumulated quite a few. The corridor to the children's bedrooms is now the family art gallery.







2 comments:

  1. Love the kids paintings - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the art corridor. Where is this cheap source of canvases? My kids need more school holiday activities...

    ReplyDelete